Sunday, January 9, 2011

2010 was a Very Good Year for Photography - Final Installment

Well November and December are quiet months on the photo calender lots of family get togethers for the holidays and such.  As I mentioned in an earlier post my Aunt Anna Mae had her 99th birthday on November 16, 2010.  She is amazing and still living on her own.
She told me that she still has her five marbles - translate; she has all her mental faculties.  My response was if she had five marbles then I must be down to 3.5!
The most exciting event during November was the finding of a huge hornet's nest in the tree next door.  I must be the size of a rugby ball and estimated to house 1500 to 2000 hornets.
My neighbor cut it down to my wife's dismay, she felt it should have been left alone because it looked like a beautiful sculpture.
I spent a lot of time In November at local lakes and ponds shooting geese and ducks.  This Mallard hen was very friendly and came right to the bank where I was sitting and posed for me.

The geese were not as accommodating and stayed a short distance away from shore.  They too did offer a few interesting poses; like this guy looking as if he is saying 'are you talking to me!,
And this guy swimming away from me and showing me her tail feathers.
I found this rabbit in our yard just watching us working on the back porch.  He seem to be as curious of us as I was of him.  He stayed in the yard long enough for me to go in and get my camera.
After I took a few shots he bolted into the bushes and disappeared.
In December I got a few shots of the lunar eclipse, here is one of the partial eclipse shots.  I did not get any good shot of the total eclipse because the front element of my zoom lens kept sliding down because I had to shoot almost straight up.
I have since purchased some masking tape and a right angle finder the Sigma and I think I am better prepared for the next eclipse.
To finish our photo journey for the year we went up to Heritage Square and to Red Rocks Park and took a few shots just because they are there and we needed to shot something!  I call this shot at Heritage Square my Kodachrome shot because of the vivid colors.
The final shot for this year is of the back area of the visitors center at Red Rocks park:
I like this area because of all the different shapes and contrasts and minute detail in the trees and shrubs.  I think this will be one of the first areas I will use to test the resolution of the SD1 in 2011 (wishing thinking). 
This winds up my review of our photo activities in 2010.  For the coming year I plan to keep an on going journal in this blog of our activities and trips so that 2011 will be documented as we travel through the year.
Happy New Year everyone and good shooting!

No comments:

Post a Comment